Contemporary Brazilian Music
"Richard Boukas has composed an impressive and prolific body of work for himself and clarinet virtuoso Louis Arques. Having dedicated my career to the art of Duo performance, I know the artistic chemistry required to make exceptional Brazilian music. Arques and Boukas possess this unique connection and a complete command of their cutting-edge repertoire. I am certain that Boukas's present and future works will be a perennial contribution to contemporary clarinet-guitar literature."
Dr. João Luiz Rezende Lopes
Brasil Guitar Duo / Naxos recording artist
Director of Chamber Music
Hunter College of CUNY
Debut CD / Homages to Brazilian Masters
CD Review in THE CLARINET
"The performers give lovely renditions of these works. Louis Arques plays with a refined sound on both soprano and bass clarinets. His intonation is accurate and phrasing well-delineated.
- Boukas is an excellent guitarist. While all of his compositions have a stylistic basis in traditional Brazilian popular music, they reflect his own more complex artistic sensibility. Perhaps this is nova brasilidade, in the same spirit as Piazzola's tango nuevo.
- Choro Branco (for bass clarinet Solo) will make a particularly good addition to unaccompanied repertoire for the instrument."
The Duo's debut LIVE CD release, "Homages to Brazilian Masters" is available in both CD and Digital Download formats. See below for the FREE DOWNLOAD with CD PURCHASE.
It features three major works by Richard Boukas:
• Diálogos for Clarinet and Guitar
• Diálogos for Bass Clarinet and Guitar
• Choro Branco for Bass Clarinet Solo
LISTEN to the CD in the two MUSIC PLAYERS.
BUY the CD or DIGITAL DOWNLOAD format below.