Contemporary Brazilian Music
Diálogos for Clarinet & Guitar
"Through more than thirty years of dedication to the creation and study of Brazilian music, Richard Boukas has gone far beyond those genres closest to jazz such as bossa nova and MPB of the 1970's and 1980's. His impressive body of composer tribute compositions for Diálogos Duo fuses a wide range of traditional genres (including choro, baião, maracatu, congada, frevo) with styles of contemporary composers such as Guinga and Hermeto Pascoal. To date, Boukas’s work is the most significant contribution to guitar and clarinet literature based on Brazilian music.”
Dr. Bruno Mangueira
Professor of Music
University of Brasilia, DF Brazil
Duo Concert Programs
• DUO BIO •
Duo News Update
• The Duo performed live on WKCR-FM 89.9 FM at the annual Tom Jobim Birthday Marathon.
To see and hear complete video, visit. The Duo’s PROGRAMS PAGE.
• The new Richard Boukas suite "A Dozen Choro Tributes" will receive its first public reading on April 26 (see CALENDAR). The official premiere will be at their performance presented by NYC Classical Guitar Society on Novmber 8. It will also e be the featured work on their second CD.
* International Clarinet Association (ICA) has invited the Duo to present a keynote performance at the 2019 Convention in Knoxville, TN on July 24.
• Keynote Fall Performances: NYC Classical Guitar Society (November 8), Sacred Heart University Guitar Festival (October 18), Bronxville Library (October 26), Nyack Library (September 20), Commack Library (December 8).
• Richard Boukas has recently completed his fifth multi-movement work for the Duo, "Impressions of Minas". It features twelve tributes to legendary composers from the state of Minas Gerais, including Toninho Horta, Milton Nascimento, Sérgio Santos, Juarez Moreira, Ary Barroso, João Bosco, Abel Ferreira.