WELCOME to the BLOG.
For complete details on concerts, workshops and other events, visit the CALENDAR.
• PERFORMANCE NEWS •
• International Clarinet Association (ICA) ClarinetFest 2019 Convention, July 24, Univ. Knoxville, Tenn.
The Duo performed a feature concert July 24th at ClarinetFest 2019, the largest and most prestigious annual clarinet convention in the world presented by the International Clarinet Association.
We made so many new artistic and educational colleagues- including two Brazilian ensembles from Pernambuco: Sopros de PE (clarinet quartet) and OPEC (clarinet orchestra) and a quartet from Italy featuring Luca Saracca and Nicola Bulfone.
The Duo also appeared on WUOT-FM and filmed a TV show for UTTV "Studio 865", which will be up on YouTube shortly.
• Grammy-winning Italian clarinetist ALESSANDRO CARBONARE recently performed the European premiere of four Richard Boukas/Diálogos Duo works in Milan. The all-Brazilian program also included works by Villa-Lobos, Baden Powell and Sérgio Assad. SEE PROGRAM
• CLIPS from Diálogos Duo's first public reading of "A Dozen Choro Tributes" are on the right and also on the Duo's MAIN PAGE.
• NYC Classical Guitar Society
Salon Series / Tenri Institute (11/8)
Premiere of "A Dozen Choro Tributes"
• Bronxville Library (10/26)
• Sacred Heart Univ. Guitar Festival (10/18)
• Nyack Library (9/20)
• Sachem Library, Holbrook (LI) (9/15)
Richard Boukas Solo
• Smithtown Library (LI) (10/20)
"Their performances are uniformly high spirited and totally captivating. Boukas appropriates the rhythmically funky essence of such styles as Forró, Frevo and Baião and tests their viability in a setting that stresses spontaneous improvisation. There's no sheen of unneeded post-production here– just the sensation of total honesty."
• NEW COMPOSITIONS •
Among the many exciting new colleagues made at ClarinetFest was SOPROS de PE, the brilliant clarinet quartet from Pernambuco, Brazil. Immediately following the convention, we formed a collaboration.
I have just finished a major work for the ensemble, “EMBOLADA”, which will be premiered in Brazil next year.
• "Three Choros for Bass Clarinet and Guitar"
These pieces will complete our second CD, "Diálogos Duo: Choro".
The featured work will be "A Dozen Choro Tributes" (see premiere info above).
• I have begun composing the next Diálogos Duo suite:
"Cantos do Nordeste", featuring the richly diverse genres from Brazil's Northeast.
The suite is projected to be fifteen movements and completed by mid-fall.
As with all previous suites, each movement is a tribute to an illustrious Brazilian composer/musician:
Luiz Gonzaga, Jackson do Pandeiro, Sivuca, Hermeto Pascoal, Spok Frevo, Capiba, Pé de Serra, Dominguinhos, nations (nações) of Maracatu among others.
There are now fifty pieces composed for Diálogos Duo since its founding in fall 2016.
• PRIVATE STUDY NEWS •
• In addition to in-studio students, my online teaching continues to expand.
The main apps I use are Skype and FaceTime.
For more INFO on DISTANCE LEARNING and PREPAID BLOCK RATE DISCOUNTS see my PRIVATE STUDY PAGE.
Visit the CALENDAR and this BLOG frequently for all the latest composer news and performance details.
Thank you very much for your interest and support, and enjoy the rest of your summer.
To join E-MAIL list, visit the CONTACT PAGE.